Our top charities are (in alphabetical order):
- Against Malaria Foundation (AMF)
- Deworm the World Initiative (DtWI), led by Evidence Action
- Schistosomiasis Control Initiative (SCI)
We have recommended all four of these charities in the past.
We have also included four additional organizations on our top charities page as standout charities. They are (in alphabetical order):
- Development Media International (DMI)
- The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition’s Universal Salt Iodization program (GAIN – USI)
- International Council for the Control of Iodine Deficiency Disorders Global Network (ICCIDD)
- Living Goods
In the case of ICCIDD, GAIN-USI, and DMI, we expect to learn substantially more in the coming years (both through further investigation and through further progress by the organizations); we see a strong possibility that these will become top-tier recommended charities in the future, and we can see reasons that impact-minded donors could choose to support them today.
Based on this allocation, for any donors looking to give as we would, we recommend an allocation of $5 to AMF, $1 to SCI, $1 to GiveDirectly and $.50 to DtWI for every $7.50 given.
It's worth reading through the entire post to understand how they make their decisions and to learn about key principles such as diminishing marginal returns and the funding gap.